Wow... It has been since OCTOBER since I posted AND since I read a blog :-( I'm an ass. I've shut down, been hibernating, HIDING.
As you may recall the bf & I broke up, I moved to my own place and I am starting to (or at least TRYING to) live again, FOR ME.
It is a rough ride kids.
I have started therapy, digging up crap that I bottled and hid for so long.
Living alone is good, weird, interesting, scary etc. I am 37 and I have never lived alone. I've never had to grocery shop & cook for myself. Turns out I really only know how to do that for Carmen the 300 pound chick. Not Carmen the lap band patient who doesn't weigh 300 pounds anymore.
This past Thursday I "celebrated" the 2 year anniversary of being banded. I put the celebrated in quotes because I am disappointed, in myself. I have nobody to blame but me. One year ago I was joyous for being in "onederland" for the first time in my adult life. Today I weighed in at a lovely 211. I lost my mojo. I hadn't worked out, a gym visit here and there, but not on a regular basis since doing CrossFit last spring.
I need HELP. I am going to a "so you fell off the wagon" class put on by my surgeon next week. My therapist specializes in addiction, we just started talking about food. I have been to the gym 3 times in the past week.
So now I'm calling out to you, my fellow bandsters (and sleevers and bypassers etc) specifically to you single gals that live alone. Tell me, how do you grocery shop, what do you buy, how often you go, what do you cook??
I have many things to look forward to this year, a lovely girls weekend in April (which I am so excited for!!) and of course BOOBS in September (which I am blowing off my 20th high school reunion for!)
I wish I could say that I will sit down and read all the blogs that I missed, but 4 months? And as many as I follow? It's just not possible...There are many of you that I am friends with outside of Blogger, on FB, email, text etc. So I almost feel like I am caught up on your lives that way...but I guess you really only know what people choose to share with you.
I hope that one of you finds it in your heart to share your shopping & cooking tips in spite of me being an absentee blogging bandster!
I <3 you all and I won't blow smoke up your asses and make false promises that I will blog more and read more... but I will say again that I <3 you!!

We are so glad to have you back and I wish I could offer suggestions on shopping as a single girl, but I know you can get your mojo back. We have faith in you and the important thing is that you have faith in yourself. Happy belated bandiversary...I just realized it (ours) was last week!!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are back! I have missed you! We can help you get your mojo back. It's still there, it's just readjusting to your new life. But you can do it!
ReplyDeleteAs a fellow single girl and one that travels frequently, I have to do small trips to the store, not really buying too much at one time. I shop many stores- Trader Joe's, Target Grocery and Whole Foods. There is also a specialty fish place I like and a good fruit and veggie market nearby. In the summer, I hit the farmer's markets. Different things at each place to keep things interesting. I also have to buy perishable GOOD foods that I literally can not afford to waste. That way, I buy veggies and fish and have to prepare and eat them before they go bad.
ReplyDeleteI don't eat beef or pork, so I can't offer any tips there, but I do make good use of my crockpot. Soups, turkey and veggie chili, and other foods that freeze well. I'll eat the same thing for a couple days until I'm sick of it so I only keep a small amount in the fridge. The rest gets frozen right away and I can thaw it as needed. Last week I made an enchilada casserole type thing. I also make things like turkey burgers (no bun), salmon patties, fish tacos (usually based with frozen fish from Trader Joe's) that are easy to do in small quantities.
I can eat rice and pasta with no problem, so those get incorporated pretty regularly. I hate eggs but can tolerate quiche so I make some crustless quiche type things with cheese and veggies and cook them in a muffin pan. Easy single serving lunch or breakfast. Other go-to foods are hummus, eggplant dip, refried beans mixed with salsa (eaten with pita or some baked chips if you can tolerate them), chickpea "salad" with crumbled blue cheese, sliced grape tomatoes and whatever else I have around that sounds good.
Ok, now that everyone knows I eat really weird foods, I'll stop. :)
You can do this!!!!
I buy food once a week...i bought a low cal cook book and make meals for two or crock pot alot
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! Missed you!
ReplyDeleteI sure did miss you... I am still after almost 2 years trying to figure out the food thing. I do have a small George Forman grill that I use frequently for grilled chicken or whatever, I eat alot of tuna salad and fish(Frozen mostly), I have been eating Smart One meals or lean cuisine once in a while too. I also make Chili or other soups that I have for several days. I eat greek yogurt with fiber one cereal in it for breakfast usually. It is not easy to get the hang of things... but you figure out some favorite meals and throw a few trial and errors in here and there. XOXO *M*
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are back sweetie, and we are all here to help you. I think making food for myself would be far easier than trying to cook for five that I do now.
ReplyDeleteYou know the band rules, you also know what you should be eating, you can make things ahead and then portion them to take to work for the week if you like that sort of thing, or simply make a chicken breast or turkey or some sort of protein for you meal and then add some steamed veggies, and of course greek yogurt is awesome to have on hand. Skim milk, some almonds for those times you cannot make it to the next meal.
There are some great recipes on SparkPeople and also on Livestrong if you are in need of healthy ideas. Remember it is about portion size with the band not removing all the foods that we love.
Watching carbs and protein and getting in our water.
I am here if you need anything so glad you are back.
When I saw that you blogged I almost cried!! I love that you are back. I would suggest some crockpot meals. Things that you can have for leftovers. Cook for 2 and then you are set.
ReplyDeleteYou got this. I"m so proud of you for going to the gym. I love the class that your Dr. is having.
Welcome home Carmen!
ReplyDeleteI'm not single but for Steve and I, I very often buy a rotisserie chicken and make different things with it. Casseroles, chix salad, etc. Lapband Gal was talking about this in a blog the other day. She buys a couple a week and makes them into smaller portions and has her protein all sorted out. Check out her blog.
You could make a batch of chili and freeze into individual portions. This will stay for months in the freezer.
I see you've already gotten some great tips for meals, so I won't even go there... but I'm glad you're back!
ReplyDeleteYay, I'm so glad to see you back! I cook for a family, but before I remarried, I cooked seperately for myself and my kids most of the time, as I was always dieting. My go to food was frozen chicken tenderloins, they cook really fast,and go from the freezer into the pan, I spray Pam and put 2 tenderlions on, I season them and when they start to sizzle, just drizzle a little chicken stock on them, add sliced onion, peppers, squash, spinach or whatever I have, then a teaspoon of cream cheese and more stock, delish and so fast. Good luck, you can do this! I'm proud of you for taking care of you!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back!! :) I actually think there are benefits in this journey to being single. I typically cook something on Sunday night and invite the BFF over to eat. We split the leftovers. It usually gives me 2-3 meals for the week.
ReplyDeleteBreakfast - I always eat oatmeal, so that one is easy for me right now. Although when I'm particularly hungry, I will have cheese cubes (or Babybels) and/or boiled eggs on hand
Lunch - this changes all the time, but sometimes I will have lunchmeat roll ups, or cheese and crackers or soup with some hummus/crackers.
Snacks - I usually eat hummus or a granola bar, but lately I have been branching out. Today I am trying a packet of Maple Almond Butter with Wheat Thins. Yumma!
Dinner - 2 or 3 days I have my leftovers from Sunday and because I usually eat out one weekday night, that usually covers me. Occassionally I will have to have something else at home like a frozen dinner or popcorn (don't tell anybody about that one...ha!)
I don't cook every night so a bunch of fresh fruit & veggies just doesn't work for me. They just end up going bad and wasting money. Good luck, girlie!! Just put you mind to it and you will do great!
Missed you! Glad you're back!
ReplyDeleteI'll just add that girls weekends are especially good for getting the mojo back. Guaranteed.
ReplyDeleteHi! Good news! I've been a slacker poster, so you can catch up with me pretty easily! :)
ReplyDeleteOn the food front, I usually keep an emergency WW frozen dinner in the freezer, and I cook a lot. I'd recommend going to Epicurious.com and just taking a look for one recipe that appeals to you and is rated 4 forks. Do you like salmon? Some of these look really good -- http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=salmon
Also, I tend to stock up on staples that are things I like to eat. So, I buy yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast. I tend to make or buy soup for lunch (you could buy ingredients for a soup and freeze in individual containers -- cheap and delicious -- I have some great soup recipes toward the beginning of my blog if you want a recommendation or two). Keep some emergency supplies on hand for quick meals, too -- things like tuna, refried beans (and cheese), etc.
Glad you are back in action! And at least you checked yourself after only hitting 11 over Onederland. This is totally fixable in a reasonable amount of time. We're all here to support you and are rooting for you. xoxo
I'm so glad you're back - you and I can find our mojo together!!!
ReplyDeleteCarmie!!! welcome back.. so I want to help you in any way I can.. meals are basically yogurt, soup, turkey chili and tuna.. focus on the protein and back to basics.. give your self a big hug and blow a kiss to the mirror.. I can guarentee that cutie looking at you will blow one back.. hugs
ReplyDeleteCarmen!! I miss your posts -- get it together and get back to blogging, please! Your public demands it! xoxoxo :)
ReplyDelete