Thursday, April 14, 2011

Zee Booofay

Translation: The Buffet lol

So prior to banding anytime I went to a buffet I would head straight to the salad portion and compile a giant delicious salad, then be full, but would stuff down some of the meal stuff, just so I felt like I got my money's worth.  These days?  I feel downright stupid going to a buffet.  $15-$20 bucks for basically a spoonful of a few different things?  Bleh.  But I definitely try to not let my affect other people around me.  So when we go out to dinner with the bf's parents, we go wherever they want.  This time they decided they wanted to go to an Italian place that does a buffet on Tuesday nights.  I told my bf that I was going to attempt to use my "hey this person had wls let them order as a senior or kid because they are going to have one bite and most likely will get stuck & end up puking it up anyway" discount card.  But he said not to bother, kids meal was only 3 bucks less than the adults.  Hey it's his money, who am I to argue?

I passed on the pre-dinner drink, usually I'd get one because there would be enough time to finish it before the food was ordered & delivered.  The table next to us consisted of a overweight grandmother, overweight mother, & overweight teenaged kids (one boy & one girl) The teenage girl was a beautiful girl, maybe 13, about 5'6" & by my estimation well over 200 lbs.  I happened to hit the buffet line at the same time as the mother, we both got to the seafood section at the same time, she started yelling at the carving station chef saying that the crab legs were "itty bitty" and when were they going to bring out the "good ones" he told her they wouldn't bring more out until those were gone and that there was "a lot of other good food to eat" I had to bite my tounge from laughing.  Especially seeing that she was holding one plate that was overflowing and the other was 3/4 full. 

I cannot help but being both fascinated and disgusted by watching other people eat.  The shoveling of food, the swallowing after 2 chews, the massive amounts of food...I just cannot help the way that I judge and the way I am sickened. 

Anyway, back to the family....the teenage girl got one plate of food (peel & eat shrimp, roast beef, sausage & peppers, & pasta) then a slice of some sort of cake.  As her mother was on her 4th plate of food, she told the girl to go get more food.  The girl said that she was full.  The mother said "No you aren't, go get more" and continued to YELL at this girl until she got up and got another plate of food.  Really?  FORCING your child to eat when they tell you that they are full?  Sure, I am on the outside, I don't know the whole story.  I only know what I saw & eavesdropped on.  But it still pissed me off.  I blame that childs weight on her mother.  There I said it!

What was on my plate? 
1 regular meatball
1 swedish meatball
1 stuffed shrimp
1 medallion of chicken picatta
2 baby carrots
2 pieces of cavatelli w/ broccoli
2 pieces of macaroni & cheese
1 chunk of some mystery meat

I ate 1 bite of everything except the mystery meat & mac & cheese...oh and the stuffed shrimp which I had 2 bites of lol.  The chicken was WICKED dry and I promptly got stuck, so I was done.  Which sucked because I was HUNGRY.  As I said before, it sucks ass being stuck when you are hungry!  By the time everyone was done (minimum of 3 plates of food for everyone) I took 2 bites of the bf's soft serve ice cream. 

Why is it that I crave sweets yet can't stand the sweetness?  Hmmm?   Oh and why is it that for the past few days I have not only had a wicked migrane but also bad gas pains.  Like wake me up in the middle of the night bad. 

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sad scenario. I cannot imagine what that mother was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It bugged me at the all inclusive place we went in Mexico that I couldn't eat much. I would have a full plate but was only able to taste a bit of everything. I feel sorry for the kids, but the mother was probably wanting to "get her money's worth". I too watch people stuff their face and wolf down food in no time at all. I think that was us before. I guess we can change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what a story. Ugh on the migraine...could be the weather changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awful. I do go to buffets and I do get the child/senior price. I assume that the variety is my money's worth. A bite of this and a bite of that, Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, poor child! I feel so bad for her! I find myself people watching all the time at restaurants now too. And at buffets it amazes me how people eat, and not just overweight ones. We went to Chinese not to long ago and a woman that was probably 5'5" and all of 140 lbs went back for three plates.....full plates!

    Well, I hope you find relief from your headache!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is exactly why I don't go to buffets anymore. It's not worth my money and I hate seeing what is tantamount to sheer gluttonty on the part of 85% of those who go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm so glad to know i'm not the only one who's become fascinated by other peoples' eating habits... probably as fascinated as those who know i'm banded are with mine!!!! Haven't been to a buffet since being banded and can hardly see the point....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got my surgery date (May 4th!) but I feel this way already when I go to buffets! Even now I can barely eat more than one plate of food and I always feel like I'm being looked at at places like that! It's terrible!

    Speaking of terrible...that poor teenage girl! That is the reason right there I want to get this surgery. I do not want to be the gross fat parents when I have kids!

    ReplyDelete